Chuyển đến nội dung chính

ANIMAL FARM

ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell 144 pp. Penguin Group. £8.99. (Ages 13 and up) ISBN 9780141182704 Rating: ? Stars     This book is set in a future when animals are much cleverer than now. And because of their cleverness, the pigs started a revolution against the humans. Pigs could speak fluently in English unlike the other animals, and that gave them the power to be leaders. But, the story that follows only happened a few years after that...     Their first leader, Old Major, was kind and fair who knew animals should be equal. But when Napoleon became the leader it was very unpleasant. He made a rule that allowed the pigs to have better food and that forced all of the other animals to work crazily hard every day and night. That wasn’t enough, Napoleon wanted more power.     He decided to kill his brother, Snowball, so that he would be the only leader. Snowball was admired because he came up with a clever idea to build windmill. Sn...

The Secret

"Shadow and Bone" by Leigh Bardugo

Release Date: June 5, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Pages: 358

From Goodreads: "The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance."


When I recently found myself on a fantasy kick I KNEW that I had to include this book on my pile of to-be-read books- partly because of the interesting sounding storyline, partly because of the general hype surrounding it (with some of the most critical reviewers I know praising it to the high heavens), and partly because of hearing friend after friend tell me that I would ABSOLUTELY love it. After having finished it, I must admit that I am among the minority, not understanding why so many have flocked to this when, in my opinion, there are so many other books of this nature deserving said praise.

I think that said hype gave me entirely unrealistic expectations of this book- because of the hype, every element of this book was inflated, THE BEST EVER STORYLINE!, THE BEST EVER CHARACTERS!, THE BEST EVER SETTING! and so forth, almost to an unachievable level. In reality, I found the vast majority of characters to be mediocre, no different from any other YA characters that I have read of before (with the exception of Mal that one time, when he was able to pull out the swoon-> I think that fans of Gale and Peeta will love him as he seems to be a combination of their best characteristics), the vast majority of the plot to be predictable (I am admittedly one of the worst foreshadowers when it comes to book plots, however, I was able to foreshadow almost everything in this book, especially that revolving around the Darkling- if I can do this, then you know it's pretty predictable), and the world building to be a bit too "out there", combining an overwhelming number of elements, only a few of which actually fit seamlessly together.

All in all, as much as I had hoped that it would, this book simply did not do it for me. Because of my reaction to this novel, I am seriously debating whether or not to continue on with the series (if I choose not to, something that is almost unheard of for me). That being said, I do think that fans of Sarah J. Maas's "Throne of Glass" series and Andrea Cremer's "Rift" series, will more than enjoy this novel, wanting to start its sequel as soon as they finish this.

Rating: 2/5

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

THE NAME OF THIS BOOK IS SECRET

THE NAME OF THIS BOOK IS SECRET Secret Series: Book 1 By Pseudonymous Bosch. 304 pp. Usborne Publishing Ltd. £5.99. (Ages 10 and up) ISBN 9780746090923 Rating: 5 Stars       This book is a lot like Lemony Snicket, because she keeps telling you not to read it, when you just can't stop yourself because it is so good.       This book is about a girl called Cass who meets a boy called Max Ernest. What happens when the two children find a magician's diary, and have to fight Mrs Mauvais?       To find out read the book. A cool thing about the magician's diary is that it talks about synaesthesia, which is a mixing up of the senses and it is real!  An example is a person who when we see black writing, they see rainbow writing like  t h i s . I think 8 to 12 year olds should read this wonderful book, because it is a bit too scary for small children, and a grown - up would think it is too childish...

Stacking the Shelves: The "I'm A Lame STSer" Edition

To support my fellow Canadian bloggers I have decided to participate in Stacking the Shelves created by Tygna over at  Tygna's Reviews . As Tygna writes,  "Stacking The Shelves is all about the books we are adding to our shelves each week, sharing with you our excitement for our newest titles and maybe have you discover a new book in the process!"  I may be the most lame STSer ever- this is my first since the book-blogger meet-up in November. Surprisingly not a single one of these books came from Christmas! For Review:  "Days of Starlight and Blood" by Laini Taylor (Thanks to HBG)  "The Archived" by Victoria Schwab (Thanks to HBG)  "The Lives We Lost" by Megan Crewe (Thanks to HBG) "The Friday Society" by Adrienne Kress (Thanks to Raincoast) "Things I Can't Forget" by Miranda Kenneally (Thanks to Raincoast) "Pulse" by Patrick Carman (Thanks to HarperCollins Canada) Bought (I discovered BookCloseOuts.com... H...

SPIDER-MAN 2: THE DAILY BUGLE STORIES

SPIDER-MAN 2: THE DAILY BUGLE STORIES By Jacob Ben Gunter. 144 pp. HarperFestival. £4.99. (Ages 7 and up) ISBN 9780060571320 Rating: ? Stars SPIDER-MAN IS QUITE GOOD. FIRST HE WRITE A NEWSPAPER. WILL HE FIGHTS SOME MARSDERSE. BUT SOME PEOPLE HE A BADDIE. :-)

Free $100